Brahmans demolish Roosters to blast into grand final

By  |  0 Comments

RUGBY LEAGUE: The Binalong Jersey Girls took the honours as first team into the semi-finals at Grenfell’s Henry Lawson Oval last Saturday in a must win game against Grenfell to stay alive for next Sunday’s qualifier at Eugowra. And the girls did it in fine style, almost all their mistakes over recent weeks evaporated.

Nevertheless, Grenfell was not going to go down without a fight and it took almost 17 minutes of the first half before Binalong struck through Bron Pollack, Ali Giles converted for 6-0. Giles made a break down the left minutes later and reset field position and Jess Howard scored her try, Ali Giles slotted the extras and at 12-0 things looked difficult for the hosts.

Then, with 30 seconds on the clock and Grenfell pressing the Jersey Girl’s line, Ange Taylor took a most spectacular intercept and planted the ball, the conversion by Kaylah Smith made it 18-0 at the break.

 Kaylah Smith. The Jesrsey Girls will play 11.30am next Sunday in Eugowra against Condobolin.

Kaylah Smith. The Jesrsey Girls will play 11.30am next Sunday in Eugowra against Condobolin.

The players got rid of the glitches of recent weeks. They defended superbly, ran onto the ball and regained confidence in their game and they looked like the team of old. But a high penalty count dented their display in the second half, some of the referee’s decisions were puzzling but Ange Taylor grabbed her second try in the 30th minute after Grenfell had scored.

The penalties continued to flow, much to the chagrin of a very good Binalong contingent at Henry Lawson and they let the ref know of their displeasure.

Kirsten McGhie saved an almost certain try with only minutes remaining, Grenfell got their second but the Jersey Girls ran out winners 24-10 to play Condobolin next Sunday at Eugowra.

Ange Taylor scored two tries to help the girls win 24-10. PHOTO Susan Meli

Ange Taylor scored two tries to help the girls win 24-10. PHOTO RS Williams

The Brahman Calves were up next at the same ground for their match against Grenfell. Woodbridge Cup only sports five under 18’s teams and Binalong has had the wood on the Goannas at every meeting this season. Saturday’s game was no different and the ‘Calves’ ran out 38-0 winners.

Binalong’s big men in Morris, Downey and Tyson ran riot and laid the platform for Barker, Mercieca and Marty Smith to macerate their defence. Jeffrey Brown and Patrick Quinn were good too but with the score at half time 18-0 it was all one way traffic. Binalong went on with the job in the second thirty, Patrick Warren scored the final try and Dylan Arabin was good with the boot all day for the 38-0 result. The ‘Calves’ now play next Sunday at Eugowra against Peak Hill Roosters for a shot at a Grand Final appearance against Eugowra.

On the Sunday game, the Binalong first grade team faced off with Peak Hill’s Roosters. Very much a danger game as the Roosters had dominated much of Woodbridge in the 2015 year until their respective meeting on July 25 at Binalong, a pivotal point in this competition.

This week was always going to be a struggle after Peak Hill’s loss to Trundle the previous Sunday in a torrid match at Condobolin. But Kaden Rawlinson took the odds to it early and crossed the chalk after only four minutes for the Brahmans to go 4-0 up. Then at the 11th minute the Roosters scored to lead 6-4 and the arm wrestle continued for almost ten minutes until a brilliant Rawlinson pass let Phil Sparnon in on the right, he converted his own for the 10-6 score. Binalong’s Henry Paton hammered away at the Peak Hill defence for another ten minutes until he scored and Sparnon converted for 16-6. The visitors attacked superbly time and again and eventually the home defence gave out and at half time it was 16-10 and anyone’s game. _SWZ5425

Now, with the down hill run for the second 40 and a very light breeze behind them, the Brahmans set about demolishing their opponents and that’s what they did. In absolutely blistering speed the Brahmans completely trounced the Roosters with superbly spectacular passing, running and kicking totally outside the realms of this competition.

Chris Rawlinson must have decided to show Woodbridge Cup a thing or two, along with Sparnon, Swaffield, Blair, Naughton, Sherrett and Olah, the home side were rampant in the second half. This leaves out Ben Potts and Tony Worthy who took the ball up the centre all day and completely and comprehensively outplayed Peak Hill. _SWZ5419

At 5/8 Craig Irwin played the house down all day, the diminutive Kaden Rawlinson defended as though his life depended upon it and Swaffield called the shots from the back all day, but it was Coach Chris Rawlinson who stole the show, mesmeric throughout he ran the ball into the hit line and totally flummoxed the Roosters, it was a pleasure to watch the display.

At one point late in the game, Scott Naughton made a break through the Peak Hill lines, had a wing and full back to beat, which he could have easily done but chose a cross-field kick to the Rooster’s in-goal at a near perfect angle. Who should be trailing through but Chris Rawlinson and planted the ball, fabulous stuff. _SWZ5406

So Binalong are now booked for their Grand Final appearance at Cranfield Oval in Young on September 20th. The final score of 40-14 illustrates the Brahmans dominance in this semi final, Peak Hill must now confront Trundle next Sunday for the right to meet Binalong in the Grand Final.

Binalong 40. Tries: K.Rawlinson, P.Sparnon, H.Paton, B.Spencer, C.Irwin, C.Rawlinson and D.Brown. Goals: P.Sparnon (6) def Peak Hill 14. Referee: Mr. Tim Bailey.

– By bos Indicus

Find more photos on Scoop’s Facebook gallery here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *